OpenTracker+ source code

Scott Miller

Administrator
Staff member
This should be the latest version. I'm afraid the revision history as such was lost when Freepository went away. If there's something specific you need, let me know. We should have archived backups.

Attachments

AB1IZ

Thanks so much! Are any of the later Tracker versions available as open source as well, or is this the latest hardware revision with corresponding source code? (I saw a mention that the firmware had transitioned to GPL, but I couldn't find any evidence that source was ever actually released as GPL.)

Scott Miller

Administrator
Staff member
Everything up through the Tracker3 is open source, either BSD or GPL. I thought I'd put the T3 code up on either github or Bitbucket but I'm not seeing it. I can give you an archive of the most recent version, but at this point I probably won't put it up on github until I've had a chance to review and test the project.

Previously the OTUSB, T3, and RadioShield2 all shared the same codebase. Freescale made a bunch of changes to CodeWarrior and I ended up splitting things up because it was unwieldy getting the 8-bit HCS08 stuff and 32-bit Coldfire stuff to play nice in CW11, and some of it hasn't been transitioned completely from CW6. There's a decrepit Windows XP machine in the corner of the lab for compiling that stuff and someday I'll get back to either porting everything or setting up a VM with the build tools.

One of the issues is that the T3 and OTUSB are right at the limit of available flash memory (I think one was within 4 bytes of being full) so even minor build environment changes can render it unbuildable. The OTUSB's bootloader was also built as a ROM library, which isn't supported as such in the newer CodeWarrior versions. And the T3's bootloader is pretty gnarly, written in C and assembly in at least three pieces, and it has to be able to replace the USB stack while it's loading data via USB, which requires some careful linker configuration.

Mostly we try not to touch anything. I'm still so swamped with other projects (including getting the T4 up to snuff) that I can't say when I'll be able to put much time into cleaning it all up.

AB1IZ

We have a Tracker that's been deployed in our digipeater for years now, and I'm honestly not sure what hardware version it is. :/ The next time I'm at the repeater site I'll take it out of its case and find out. Before I bug you to find another version of the code, let me make sure I know exactly which hardware version I need it for.

We recently deployed a new, higher-gain antenna, and I wanted to look at the code to determine the feasibility of measuring RSSI of each received packet. I can figure out how to tie the RSSI to an ADC pin, but I would need to modify the code to measure it every time a packet is received (to preserve the KISS protocol, probably it could just synthesize the normal ADC report packet and send it upstream to the computer after every incoming packet). But maybe there wouldn't be enough code space left for that.