Tracker 4 Firmware

Hi folks. I received the latest firmware update from Scott a few days ago. I copied the files to the T4 root directory and used the autoexec.cmd file to do the update. This appears to have failed and the T4 now no longer appears as a drive or serial device and the WiFi does not come on. Ideas?

Edit: I tried the reset process in the manual. No luck.

Last edited:
Emailed Scott. No response.
If you have not already done so, email the Support email address at Argent.
This at least raise a "ticket" which Scott does seem to deal with.
Just don't hold your breath, reply's are weeks apart and I am not sure he takes the time to read through all the emails before replying thus missing important information sent in early emails
But that said I am making progress, my Tracker 4 has never worked correctly and has sat idle since recieving it in late 2019, but it seems Scott has finally worked out the problem, just need to get it fixed now....
Good Luck.

If you have not already done so, email the Support email address at Argent.
This at least raise a "ticket" which Scott does seem to deal with.
Just don't hold your breath, reply's are weeks apart and I am not sure he takes the time to read through all the emails before replying thus missing important information sent in early emails
Thanks. I had emailed already. Customer service is clearly not priority at Argent unfortunately. I like the concept of their products but given their track record I will be putting future business with Microsat. They despatch efficiently and their products work as described.

Update. I have now had a response from Scott. I will be returning the unit for service. Looks like the firmware doesnt do a version check so if the update commands are in the Autoexec file you end up in an inescapable loop. Scott did suggest an experimental process to possibly fix this but I felt that it would be best to let him fix it.

Update: nice fast response from Scott this time. He will fix under warranty. That's a good outcome that goes some way to restoring my confidence in ADS. They have some good hardware but they do need to focus on their customer service.

I'm just curious to know what happened here. What's the firmware release cycle been looking like? I've been looking at getting a Tracker4 - the hardware looks really nice, but I've been reading through the forums and threads like this are not very confidence-inspiring.

I'm just curious to know what happened here. What's the firmware release cycle been looking like? I've been looking at getting a Tracker4 - the hardware looks really nice, but I've been reading through the forums and threads like this are not very confidence-inspiring.
Good afternoon -

Thanks a very good question. Wish I had an answer. I've purchased several Argent Data products over the years. The hardware does appear to be of good quality. A lot of features that appear on the hardware or are potentially implied as available (telemetry, supply voltage measurement, temperature, intelligent Wi-Fi network joining or standalone network creation, etc.) are unfinished or (at least in my case) not implemented well enough to be usable.

I would have still been back in the T3 days, with a T3 that works even now, except for the problem that the USB no longer is recognized by the PC that programmed it so many times. Nor does any other PC seem to have the correct drivers to enable it. (I'm suspecting something bad happened to the USB chip, but I don't know.) But I figured, I'd gotten a bunch of good years out of it and it had baked in the truck in the AZ heat, so "let's get another ADS product!" Since I had custom-built a telemetry module for the T3, positioned under the hood (no, the T3 was in the passenger compartment), monitoring a few things like battery temp and voltage, charge/discharge current, and two others) I figured I could just unplug the balky T3 and replace it with the new T4!

The first T4 I got I'm pretty sure I bricked. It's been two years now, but I think beyond its lack of apparent features (like the telemetry) I was having a variety of issues (mostly documented here). No response from ADS, and few from other forum people, so I purchased another one thinking that it was a "my bad" thing. That one has been another misadventure. Still doesn't work properly, but I did learn that new software builds often came with new issues while the old issues remained unresolved. This T4 is still build 161.

The telemetry thing is what really saddens me. The hardware clearly can support it. The component parts for that add significantly to the hardware bill of materials. And yet, has never been implemented, although mentioned 3 times in the general section of the manual. The Wi-Fi is terribly hit-and-miss. Again, it adds to the BOM for the entire Wi-Fi module. I still can't get it to auto-join the home network when close, nor can I get it to start (successfully) a standalone Wi-Fi network out in the field. And It doesn't seem to work for Wi-Fi direct.

After someone else months ago on this forum had mentioned Microsat, I recently ordered and received a Microsat WX3IN1 Plus 2.0. Slightly more. But, out of the box, it has more or less done what it is advertised to do. It appears to work fine, and has taken the place of a Kantronics TNC and defunct Windows PC (the pc had died months ago, so no way to be an I-gate). No magic. Does do telemetry, the more feature-rich telemetry are some add-on modules that I shied away from, but the built-in voltage telemetry actually measures voltage at the input connector, and the support for the DS18B20 appeared to work immediately when I connected the temp sensor to the terminal block. It's configured to get a fixed address from my home router, and it works. It joined APRS-IS as my old setup (using the PC) had done. I have a window open on this PC watching the WX3IN1 stats page. I'm 200 feet above the valley floor here in metro PHX, and my decode efficiency claims to be 96.1% with 6118 packets detected since I rebooted the TNC 6 hours ago. That's good performance. It connected directly to the 25+ year old Motorola Maxtrac that has been providing faithful service for all these years.

I'd really like to imagine that ADS would own their issues, and be involved and work out the bugs, even if it's one at a time. Maybe you'll get better performance and service than many of us here have.

Cheers and 73 - Jon N7UV

Thanks. I had emailed already. Customer service is clearly not priority at Argent unfortunately. I like the concept of their products but given their track record I will be putting future business with Microsat. They despatch efficiently and their products work as described.
Good evening Richard -

I finally received my Microsat (as documented elsewhere in this thread). I'm glad you mentioned it. Another ham-owned and operated company, and apparently Mateusz builds and tests every single one! not very scalable %^)

Have you resolved any of the issues with your T4?

Cheers and 73 - Jon N7UV