Unreliable, unsynced, complicated

I feel the poi constantly fall out of sync. They bump into each other once (or sometimes not at all) and then are out of sync. And even when they are in sync, sometimes the patterns don't match.
Also, it's so hard to remember to put one in AP mode and the other in connect mode. Shouldn't they just pair with each other immediately? Without me having to know how to put one in AP mode and the other in Connect mode? This is tedious because the remote affects both poi, so the option is to do it for one poi at a time..

Are we gonna see some updates?

Scott Miller

Administrator
Staff member
I've got some updates to post after some more testing. I'm trying to chase down a critical bug in another new product right now that's taken a week so far with not a lot of direct progress, though I've squashed a number of other bugs in the process. Most of that code is shared with the poi so it should bring some improvements there after I've had time to test it.

If they're losing sync when bumping into each other, the most likely explanation is that one is getting reset. Do you see it do its reset sequence when that happens?

The biggest headache with the poi hardware so far has been the tail cap switches. They tend to be overly sensitive and inconsistent. It's looking like we might have to start fabricating that part from scratch, which is going to take some more machining setup and a new circuit board. In the meantime, make sure you've got the battery spring adjusted so that the back of the battery is flush with the aluminum part when you press it all the way in. If it's too loose it'll reset too easily.

If they're set up with one in AP mode it should stay that way. Are you able to bring up the settings in a browser to check?

Scott

Scott Miller

Administrator
Staff member
So that critical bug took me over two months to track down (while trying to keep up with everything else going on around here) but I've finally squashed it. I've got a lot of other stuff going on still but I'll be working on the sync code as soon as I'm able.

Cool! So can we update the firmware for the bug fixes?

What about the case where (e. g.) pattern 4 on both poi are different? I'm trying to recall now but, iirc when I hit pattern 4 on the remote, only one poi goes into the that pattern.
Previously you had said that the storage memory may have been corrupted and that a software reset should do the trick. Pretty sure I tried that to no avail.

Thanks.
Dennis

Scott Miller

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can update the firmware. If the poi are connected to your home WiFi network, you can do it from the remote - just hold down the 'link' button until the link menu starts flashing, then press 'link' until the center flashing part is red-yellow-green. It'll try to download the latest version. You can also do it from the browser interface, or you can drop a file on the poi.

If you need to reload all of the patterns, the easiest way to do that is also over the network. From the link menu, press the magic wand button and it'll reload all of the patterns. You'll see a progress bar on the poi and it'll take 10-20 minutes.

Scott

Hi Scott.
So I did this, it downloaded new firmware and installed it (afaict). Worked great on the one poi, but on the other poi.. Well, the second array of LED's stopped working. Then next time I started them, every other light on one of the arrays didnt light up. And something they were glitching (showing glitching/blinking in other colors than the ones in the pattern).
It may be hardware related because if I knock them over the base of the poi with my knuckle they flicker and react and sometimes correct themselves.

Scott Miller

Administrator
Staff member
That definitely has to be hardware. The LED boards on each side are wired in parallel so software couldn't turn one of them off if it wanted to. The connectors where the boards plug in have turned out to be a weak point and we've been reinforcing them.

I really need to get back to the WiFi sync code on Gen 3 (which includes the hoops and poi) but I've got about a hundred things competing for my time. I've been sick for most of the last week and I think that only managed to knock me down to 65 or 70 hours in the office for the week.

You're welcome to send the offending poi in and I'll get it fixed up. It's still under warranty.

Scott Miller

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's almost certainly the LED board connectors. You can send them in to:

Argent Data Systems
1121 Tama Ln Ste B
Santa Maria, CA 93455

Make sure you include your contact info with them so I know who to email and where to send them back. Thanks!